Some interesting facts about avocados:
- Although it is often referred to as a vegetable, an avocado is technically a fruit - a single-seed berry that grows on a tree.
- It is also called ‘alligator pear’ as it has the shape of a pear and green, bumpy skin like an alligator.
- Squeeze the avocado slightly to test if it is ripe: if it is still hard you have to wait for a few more days.
- Avocados mature on the tree but only start to ripen after the harvest.
- Avocados already shared the planet with mammoths.